Frequently Asked Questions
Find the answers to the most frequently-asked questions about Pine-Sol® cleaning products — including how and where to use them, which ingredients are inside, and how to save on them.
Inside Pine-Sol® Cleaners
- What are the ingredients in Original Pine-Sol® Multi-Surface Cleaner?
- You can find a full list of the ingredients in each Pine-Sol® Cleaner at http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/products/ingredients-inside/en-us/pinesol.
- Does Pine-Sol® Cleaner contain ammonia?
- No, Pine-Sol® Cleaners do not contain ammonia.
- Are Pine-Sol® Cleaners biodegradeable?
- All Pine-Sol® products contain biodegradable cleaning agents.
- Can you recycle the Pine-Sol® Cleaning bottle?
- Yes, Pine-Sol® Cleaning bottles are made of #1 recyclable PET.
- Do Pine-Sol® products contain Phosphorous?
- No, Pine-Sol® Cleaners do not have Phosphorous.
- What is the shelf life of Pine-Sol® Cleaners?
- A Pine-Sol® Cleaner’s shelf life is two years. After that time, the color will change, but the product will still clean.
- Does Original Pine-Sol® Multi-Surface Cleaner disinfect?
- Yes. Original Pine-Sol® Multi-Surface Cleaner is registered with the E.P.A. as a disinfectant when used as directed full-strength. When used according to the instructions on the product, it kills 99.9% of germs and household bacteria on hard, nonporous surfaces. It disinfects against Salmonella enterica, Staphylococcus aureus, Influenza A virus (Hong Kong strain) and Trichophton mentagrophytes (Athletes Foot Fungus).
How to Use Pine-Sol® Cleaners
- Can I use the Pine-Sol® product in a steam cleaner?
- Pine Sol® products were not designed to be used in steam cleaners.
- Will Pine-Sol® Cleaner get greasy work clothes clean?
- Yes, it is very effective at removing grease and heavy soils from your laundry. Simply rub it full-strength on grease spots or heavily soiled areas before washing. For extra cleaning and deodorizing power, you can also add ½ cup to the wash load. Pine-Sol® Cleaner should be used only on white or colorfast fabrics; if you're not sure about a particular article of clothing, it's always a good idea to test the fabric in an inconspicuous area first.
- Does Pine-Sol® Cleaner clean toilets?
- Pour ½ cup of Pine-Sol® cleaner into the bowl and brush thoroughly, including under the rim.
- How can I use Original Pine-Sol® Multi-Surface Cleaner to disinfect?
- Apply Original Pine-Sol® full-strength on hard, non-porous surfaces with a clean sponge or cloth. Wet the surface, let it stand for 10 minutes, and then rinse. For heavily soiled surfaces, pre-cleaning is required.
- Where can I use Pine-Sol® Cleaners?
You can use Pine-Sol® cleaners on hard, non-porous surfaces, including floors, sinks, counters, stoves, bathtubs, shower stalls, tile, toilets, garbage cans and diaper pails. Just use ¼ cup per gallon of water. For tough jobs, use full strength and rinse immediately. On wood surfaces, do not allow puddles of product to remain. Pine-Sol® is not recommended for use on marble, aluminum or unsealed, waxed, oiled or visibly worn wood. Here is a chart showing recommended use:
Surface Original Pine-Sol® Pine-Sol® Scented Cleaners Acrylic √ √ Aluminum X √ Bisque tile/grout √ Carpet √ Cement √ Ceramic tile √ √ Copper X √ Corian® √ Enamel √ √ Formica √ √ Glass (windows) √ √ Granite, sealed and unsealed √ √ Laminate Wood √ Linoleum √ √ Marble, sealed and unsealed X √ Mirror √ Plastic √ Porcelain tile √ Quarry tile √ Slate √ Stainless Steel √ √ Textiles (Cotton, Denim, Polyester) √ Vinyl tile √ √ Wood, sealed/painted/finished √ √
- Where should I NOT use Pine-Sol® Cleaners?
- We do not recommend using Pine-Sol® Original Pine® Multi-Surface Cleaner on aluminum, copper or marble surfaces. We also do not recommend using Pine-Sol® Cleaners on cars, on dishes, or as a pet shampoo.
Getting and Saving on Pine-Sol® Cleaners
- What scents do Pine-Sol® Cleaners come in?
- The powerful clean of Pine-Sol® is available in Original Pine, Lemon Fresh, Lavender Clean®, Sparkling Wave®, Outdoor Fresh™ and Garden Fresh®. Check out all of the scents, and let us know what you think! You can post a review of your favorites at Reviews.
- Where can I buy Pine-Sol® Cleaners?
- Pine-Sol® products are available nationwide at grocery stores, drug stores, dollar stores, warehouse club stores (such as Costco, Sam’s Club and BJ&rsquop;s) and mass merchandisers (such as Wal-Mart, K-Mart and Target). You can put your zip code into our Store Locator to find a store near you that has the product you are looking for.
- Do you have discounts or coupons on Pine-Sol® Cleaners?
- We often have promotions, like coupons or sweepstakes. Check out our Facebook page and our homepage for what we are featuring now. And be sure to read about the value you get with every bottle of Pine-Sol®.
Pine-Sol® Cleaner Safety
- Is it safe to use Pine-Sol® cleaners around dogs, cats, children or pregnant women?
- See the answer to this and other questions on the Safety page.